Beginning Monday, April 20th, Mississippi Blood Services will begin collecting convalescent plasma from recovered COVID-19 donors to be used in the potential treatment of seriously ill patients.
COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma (CCP) is plasma from donors who have fully recovered from COVID-19 and possibly have antibodies in their plasma that can attack the virus. CCP is being used as a treatment option for patients with serious COVID-19 symptoms.
To provide convalescent plasma, donors must be eligible to donate blood and meet the criteria below:
- Prior diagnosis of COVID-19, documented by a laboratory test
- Symptom-free for 28 days prior to donation
- If female, either no history of pregnancy or negative for HLA antibodies; test to be performed by MBS at no charge
- Once approved for CCP donations, Mississippi Blood Services will contact donors to schedule their donations
- Donations can only be made at the specified CCP donation facility in Flowood
Things to note after registering:
- Once on the page, scroll down and click on the COVID-19 graphic
- Donor ID is not required to complete the questionnaire
Mississippi Blood Services is NOT testing for COVID-19.